Lap Swimming Etiquette
TEMPORARY LAP SWIMMING ETIQUETTE
So that we can meet State of CT, CDC and our Health Department guidelines for health and safety, the following adjustments are being made to our Lap Swim Etiquette, temporarily:
- Advance reservations for lap swimming are required so that we can properly clean areas and maintain social distancing in tight common areas such as doorways and hallways.
- Lap swimmers must have the ability to swim the length of the pool without a floatation device.
- One or two swimmers per lane for a maximum of 45 minutes as recommended by the State of Connecticut. Number of swimmers and qualifications may vary by Y based on local Health Departments requirements.
- Face masks are required in common areas such as the pool deck. Face masks should be removed before entering the pool. Lifeguards will be wearing face masks when 6 feet from others.
- Bring your own aquatic equipment – towels, kickboards, noodles and goggles please. Equipment is temporarily unavailable.
LAP SWIMMING ETIQUETTE
- Swimmers are encouraged to contribute to an atmosphere of cooperation and courtesy.
- Always enter from the shallow end.
- A maximum of five swimmers are permitted in each lane during lap swimming.
- Please swim with others of similar speed. Lifeguards will move swimmers to the appropriate lane when necessary.
- Always let swimmers in your lane know when you are entering the water.
- Always circle swim counter-clockwise when three or more swimmers are in a lane.
- Fins and/or kickboards are not permitted during circle swim.
- Allow faster swimmers to pass. Passing always occurs on the left of the swimmer or at the end walls.
- Do not stand at the ends of the pool for an extended period of time.
- Teens age fourteen and older may participate in lap swimming.