A Message from Our Senior Vice President & COO
Date: March 14, 2020
Dear Y Members, please watch and listen to the video message from Tim Bartlett, Central Connecticut Coast YMCA, Senior Vice President & COO.
The Central Connecticut Coast YMCA, needs you to maintain your membership!
All of us are absorbing the impact of COVID-19 on our lives and figuring out how to adjust to this sudden and dramatically changing situation. Here at the Y, we are working very hard during this crisis to continue to serve our communities’ most fragile people and families, retain our staff and pay rather significant fixed costs until we can all get back to our normal lives.
The Y needs your membership now even more than ever. While we are temporarily closed, all memberships are on hold. No accounts will be charged. However, the single biggest way for us to maintain stability is for you to maintain your Y membership through this crisis. Please email us and tell us it’s ok to keep your membership active.
We know this situation has also impacted you and your family! We’re here for you.
- We are providing you with hours of online content so you can continue to work out and participate in fitness challenges.
- We are supporting you as parents and caregivers, suddenly home with your children, with fun and educational activities. Even read aloud stories from their favorite YMCA staff!
- Our supportive housing operations in Bridgeport and Ansonia continue to operate and provide much needed social services for our at-risk homeless population.
- Your Y leadership team is working around the clock to regroup and develop ways to serve you, your family and our community during this uncertain time.
- We are working closely with local and state agencies to deploy our associates to reopen several child care centers to provide emergency child care for hospital staff and first responders who are fighting non-stop to combat this virus.
- We are working with local agencies to combat food insecurity and supply issues.
You’ve enjoyed all that the Y offers and brings to you and your family in the past. With you, we hope to return to the Y that we all love. Right now, we need you to please stay with us. Please keep your Y membership. The Y is here for you and for our community.
- The Y is funded primarily through your membership, your program fees and state grants.
- With our focus on youth development, healthy living, and social responsibility, the Y served 74,269 kids, families, and adults in twenty-five towns and cities including Bridgeport and New Haven.
- Our Y gave over $3M in scholarships and financial aid to our community in 2019, all as a result of donations to our Annual Campaign.
- In 2019, 3,719 committed volunteers donated 47,591 hours of their time to help the Y fulfill its mission!
- We are a completely independent, locally run non-profit organization. The temporary closure of our 12 Ys, our 38 school based after school and community school programs, and our 3 preschool centers has forced us to discontinue hours for over 900 people. These great people include Y fitness and group exercise instructors, front desk greeters, swim instructors, after school staff and many more you know and love.
Thank you for your participation in the Y now and always. Please stay safe and healthy.