Walk with Us To End Homelessness
ALPHA COMMUNITY SERVICES YMCA 19TH ANNUAL WALK TO END HOMELESSNESS
OCTOBER 3, 2020
Alpha Community Services YMCA operates the largest family shelter in Bridgeport and is the largest provider of permanent supportive housing in Connecticut!
It’s been a very demanding year and Alpha Community Services YMCA has led the charge to address the needs of the entire community.
During the worst of the Connecticut Covid-19 pandemic, the YMCA led with innovation, providing additional services:
- Alpha Community Services YMCA remained open while the State of Connecticut was shut down
- 39 individuals and 19 families were housed in Y operated shelters
- The South End Community Center was retrofitted as an emergency overflow shelter
- Partnered with local hotels to utilize empty rooms for high risk individuals complete with daily case management
- Retrofitted the Bridgeport YMCA as an Isolation Space for discharged Covid-19 patients with either no place to go, or in danger of infecting family in crowded living conditions
- Served over 75,000 meals to date to vulnerable at-risk individuals, individuals and families in shelter programs and to ‘shut ins’
- Provided laptops to assist children with distance learning, along with online health and wellness activities
As much as we all enjoyed our premiere fundraiser and the beautiful walk with our friends and family, from Captain’s Cove through St. Mary’s by The Sea, we have met an additional challenge of bringing our community together in a safe way for our 19th Annual Walk to End Homelessness. We are creating a virtual walk culminating with an exciting virtual special event sponsored by Star 99. All our friends, family and members of our community will design and complete their walk on their own time, with donations and support from family and friends. We’re excited to share walk routes and pictures, which will inspire all of us. We are asking walkers to complete their Walk before October 3, 2020 to accommodate our exciting signature event. Send videos to firstname.lastname@example.org.
On October 3, a live stream will air from 5-6pm, both on Alpha Community Services YMCA Facebook page and on ZOOM, to raise awareness and funds to continue providing critical support services. We are fortunate to have several local celebrities playing a big part in this year’s streaming event; Tony Dovolani, of ‘Dancing with the Stars’ fame, Carl Pavano, former New York Yankee star pitcher, Javier Colon, past winner of NBC’s ‘The Voice’ and Walter Luckett, local basketball legend. We hope that everyone can watch and enjoy our virtual festivities.
With a growing unstable economy and financial uncertainty of many Fairfield County households, our work is far from done. We are inviting you to join our 19th Walk to End Homelessness and play an important role in this vital event. We need your support now more than ever. Please sign up and help us reach our goal of $150,000. Corporate Sponsorships are also available please Carmen Colon, Vice President Bridgeport Ys. Donate Now!