LIVESTRONG AT THE YMCA
LIVESTRONG at the YMCA is a FREE twelve-week, small group program designed for adult cancer survivors.
Our goal is to help participants build muscle mass and muscle strength, increase flexibility and endurance and improve functional ability. Additional goals include reducing the severity of therapy side effects, preventing unwanted weight changes and improving energy levels and self-esteem. A final goal of the program is to assist participants in developing their own physical fitness program so they can continue to practice a healthy lifestyle, not only as part of their recovery, but as a way of life.
In addition to the physical benefits, the program provides participants a supportive environment and a feeling of community with their fellow survivors, Y staff and members. Y cancer exercise trainers work with each participant to fit the program to their individual needs. Trainers are trained in the elements of cancer, post rehab exercise and supportive cancer care. Classes will be offered weekdays with daytime and evening classes.
The LIVESTRONG at the YMCA program includes:
• Two 75 minute classes per week
• Full access to the Y seven days a week
CRITERIA FOR PARTICIPATION
• Available for individuals currently undergoing cancer treatment or have completed their treatment.
• Strong personal desire and commitment to attend classes
• Obtain a signed medical clearance form
• Participate in an interview with our Intake Specialist, complete a confidential health assessment and program registration forms.
2023 Fall Session Now accepting enrollments. Session Runs: September 11 – November 30, 2023 Mondays & Thursdays 1:15 PM – 2:30 PM
To learn more about LIVESTRONG at the YMCA, contact Colleen Villano, Director of Healthy Living at firstname.lastname@example.org or 203 481 9622 x3217.