Y Aquatic Safety Guidelines
Our lifeguards are here to ensure your safety and have the authority to restrict any behavior deemed unsafe. Y members and guests must follow all safety guidelines or may be asked to leave the pool area.
- State health codes require all persons to shower with warm water and soap before entering the swimming pool.
- Wear appropriate swimming attire in the water at all times. T-shirts, shorts, cut-offs and street clothing are not appropriate.
- A parent/guardian, at least eighteen (18) years of age, must accompany any child five (5) years of age and younger in the water at all times. Parents/guardians of children seven (7) years of age and younger who have passed the swim test must remain on the pool deck. All swimmers eight (8) years of age and older who have passed the swim test may use the pool on their own.
- Any non-swimmer must have an adult accompany them in the water and be within arm’s reach.
- Children who are not potty trained should wear two layers of accident protection, a waterproof swim diaper and a bathing suit, at all times while in the swimming pool. For privacy and sanitary reasons, please refrain from changing children on the swimming pool deck.
- If you have a communicable or infectious disease or an open sore, please do not enter the swimming pool area.
- Spitting and nose blowing in the pool, pool areas and locker rooms are not permitted.
- For everyone’s safety, the swimming pool will be closed during lightning and thunderstorms and will not reopen until thirty (30) minutes after the last occurrence of either.
- Walk, do not run, to avoid injury.
- Pushing, dunking and rough play are not permitted.
- For your safety, diving is only permitted in water at least nine (9) feet in depth. Do not perform back-flips, back-dives, twists or any other type of flip that may cause injury to yourself or others.
- Extended breath holding activities may cause blackouts and are strictly prohibited.
- United States Coast Guard approved Personal Flotation Devices can be used in the shallow end of the pool. They should be properly sized and in good condition. Persons wearing the device must have be accompanied by adult in the water within arm’s reach while in the swimming pool.
- Y equipment is for Y programs only. Starting and diving blocks are not for public use. Inflatable pool toys and flotation devices are not permitted.
- Glass containers, food, and gum are not allowed on the swimming pool deck.
- Please do not sit, play, hang or lie on the lane lines.
- Before entering the deep end of the swimming pool, all swimmers must complete the swim test including an unassisted 25-yard non-stop swim and a thirty (30) second tread which will be recorded in our log. The lifeguard may administer a swim test at any time.
- Stop, look and listen when you hear the lifeguard’s whistle blow.
- Have fun, be safe and keep your language and behavior family friendly.